Canoe and Kayak Use At Cooper River Yacht Club
On June 30, 2016 all Cooper River Yacht Club resources will be devoted to the Youth Regatta throughout the day.
Kayaking will be suspended until 6pm due to the high number of youth sailors on the river.
Thank you for planning around this restriction.
- The use of the kayaks and canoes is limited to the club members and their guest during daylight hours. They can be used between April 1st and October 31st. Use them at you own risk.
- Age Limitation: You must be 16 years old or between 12 & 15 years old and within sight of parental (or responsible adult) supervision.
- All guests must be accompanied, in water, by adult member
- Life jackets must be worn at all times in or near the water while launching or retrieving the canoes or kayaks; no exceptions. The life jacket should be the proper size for the person wearing it and it should be adjusted properly.
- CRYC canoes and kayaks should not be deliberately tipped or capsized.
- Stay close to edge of the river since the canoes and sit-in kayaks will swamp and fill with water after capsizing. You should pull the canoe or kayak to the nearest edge of the river and then lift and turn it upside down to remove the water.
- The canoes and kayaks should be carried over land. Do not drag the canoes and kayaks. Kayak carts and canoe dollies are available and these devices are recommended for moving the kayaks and canoes on land and in shallow water.
- The canoes and kayaks should be launched from the shore. Do not launch or board the canoes or kayaks from the bulkhead, ramp, or the dock because any capsize near a dock or bulkhead can result in a head injury.
- All mud and dirt should be washed from the inside and outside of the CRYC canoes and kayaks after each use. The canoes and kayaks should be stored on the racks.
- Store the blue sit-in Prodigy kayaks on the bottom level of the racks next to the ground. Store them upside down. Use the side of the rack instead of the end of the rack. These kayaks have very fragile seat backs, which are easily damaged if the back support contacts the storage rack support.
- Have FUN!!! Thanks for your understanding and enjoy the summer!